"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper

Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Last Gun

Apparently, these posts are going to become a lot more erratic than I had originally thought. I seem to have lost the steam I had in the beginning when I was posting at least one article per week. I will try to do better.

I was having one of those odd thoughts running through my head the other day and started wondering... If I could only own one gun, what would it be? To me, this is a VERY difficult question because I have worked my whole adult life to build my collection so the thought of it being reduced back down to one gun is unthinkable. However, you never know when financial or political forces could give you no choice. Hopefully, the day will never come that this is anything more than a fun hypothetical discussion, but it is a good way to prioritize what is important in a gun choice.

To do this right, I had to set some ground rules.

1. One firearm, period. Not one pistol and one revolver and one rifle and one shotgun. Just ONE firearm.

2. So that it is realistic, I set a price limit. For a rifle, the max would be $2,000. If I chose anything else, it would be $1,000.

So, I had to figure out what things I use a firearms for and then prioritize them into what is the most important for me. Here is my list in order of what I feel is the most important...
  • Concealed Carry/Self Defense
  • Home Defense
  • IDPA
  • Teaching new shooters about firearms
  • Recreational Target Shooting
  • Wilderness Survival Tool
  • Hunting
I chose concealed carry as my top priority because it is the one thing I do with a firearm EVERY day. That greatly narrows down the list of possible choices. It completely eliminates rifles and shotguns from consideration. The whole reason for concealed carry is for self defense, so it would have to be in a caliber that is adequate for self defense. That means 9mm or bigger in my book (I do carry a .380 occasionally, but only as a backup or when I can't conceal anything else). Since it needs to be concealable, that means no BIG guns so scratch off N-frame revolvers and particularly large pistols like the HK Mark 23 or Desert Eagle. For home defense, pretty much anything that is good enough for self defense while carrying concealed can do the job at home too, so that's not a problem.

Since I really enjoy IDPA and would want something I could be somewhat competitive with, I can't go too small on the gun size or too big on the caliber size. That means probably sticking to a compact or full sized pistol or a medium framed revolver and limiting my calibers to 9mm, .40S&W, .45ACP or .357Magnum. Since single column .45's have too low of a capacity as compared to other similar pistols and double stack .45's are too big for smaller hands, I eliminated it from the list. If I went with a pistol, I'd rather go with 9mm than .40S&W just because ammo will be easier to find and less expensive, but with the hotter defensive loads, it will still do the job.

Now, I needed decide between a pistol and a revolver. My first instict was to go with a revolver. They are durable, simple and (in my opinion) beautiful. However, as I looked at the next two items on the list (teaching and plinking) I realized that both of these are best done with a .22LR. Since I can't get a second gun in .22 in this scenario, I need to limit my choices to guns I can buy a .22 conversion kit for. So... scratch off revolvers.

The last two items are a problem. If I'm going with a pistol in 9mm it isn't going to be great for outdoor use or hunting, but there is a reason they were at the bottom of my priority list. Besides, in a pinch, you could use a 9mm pistol for hunting smaller game (I'd say anything smaller than a boar) and while not ideal, it will fend off smaller 4-legged predators in a wilderness situation. It wouldn't be too great against bears, but choosing one gun means making compromises.

Now, I need to find a 9mm pistol that is reliable, durable, decently accurate, is small enough to conceal but big enough to compete with in IDPA and you can buy a .22 conversion kit for it. There are probably others, but the only one I know that fits all those criteria is a Glock 19. I guess that would be my choice. Hopefully, it is a choice I'd never have to make.

A few other reasons for this choice would be that Glocks very rarely break. If they do break, they are very easy to work on and the factory parts are available from plenty of retailers. In fact, you can put together a fairly complete spare parts kit and all the tools you need (one punch) for less than $75. Plus, you are getting a very handy sized gun that is not overly heavy that has a great capacity and there are tons of aftermarket accessories to make it fit your needs.

If there was any way I was able to keep a second gun, I have no questions about what my second gun would be. I'd take an M4-style AR-15 for my other gun without a second thought.

As an interesting side note, I posed this question on one of my favorite gun forums. I was surprised at the variety of answers I got. Some people went as large as a FAL or M1A and some went as small as I did with a Glock 19. The point is that there is no one answer. Everyone has different things they do with guns. That is the beauty of our hobby is that it is so diverse.

Stay safe out there... and watch your six.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never understood this "if you could only have one question"

A firearm is a tool. You already stated several of the various uses of that tool. No one firearm covers every use. So why have just one?

Would the man that fixes your car have only one wrench?

Would the electrician that wires your house have only one screwdriver?

Would the Chef that prepares your meal have only one knife?

Of course not.

The premise that political pressure could be brought to bear that would cause every citizen of the US to voluntarily reduce their firearms owner ship to a single firearm can not happen.

The statement that you "have worked my whole adult life to build my collection" would make most of us think it is somewhat robust. A financial catastrophe that would cause total liquidation except one is unrealistic as well. If you need every last penny so bad that you could not keep two or three, it would stand to reason that you could not afford to even keep one. Most financial setbacks are temporary and while some of a collection might need to be used to float the family, I have to presume that you would be actively seeking a resolution to the dilemma.

Your third scenario, (that you do not repeat above) that your spouse would force you to thin a life long collection to just one piece is not logical. My life long involvement in firearms and firearms education was very apparent to my spouse as well as every woman that I dated. It was in fact part of what made me, me. Any woman that continued dating me and eventually married me would already be open to that fact. a

Post a Comment